Tuesday, October 1, 2013

To All Current & Future Hotel Guests

My husband and I had the pleasure of getting out of town this past week, if only for a night, and I couldn't help but notice the things people tend to do while staying at a hotel. I thought I'd write a letter to those people.

Dear current and future hotel guests,

My husband and I only have the pleasure of leaving town once a month or so and normally only for a single night. We generally pick higher end hotels because the amenities, rooms, and staff tend to be held to a higher standard. It's quite appalling what you, and what you allow your children to, do while staying at a hotel. When I'm staying at a hotel I make a very conscience effort to be as quiet as possible. I realize that I'm not the only one there.

With that in mind, here's a list of things you should avoid doing while staying at a hotel.

1. Slamming the door at midnight. I understand if you have to leave your room for some unknown reason but be considerate and shut the door quietly behind you.
2. Letting the herd out in the middle of the night. If you have the pleasure of occupying a room on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th or higher, floor please avoid tromping around like a herd of elephants at 2 am. There are people sleeping directly below you. At least be a little considerate.
3. Turning the television volume up all the way and leaving it on all night. You're not going to be awake. The only thing a higher volume is going to do is disturb the person in the room next to you.
4. Giving your children free reign. Stop allowing them to jump on the beds just because they're at a hotel. Stop allowing them to grab one of everything at breakfast while there are other people standing behind them waiting to get their bagel. Quit giving them permission to play tag in the hallways and in the stairwells.
5. Assuming that everyone else is awake when you're leaving at 4 in the morning. Get your bags/children/husband/wife/etc to the elevator quickly and then, while you're in the elevator or after you've reached the ground floor, discuss what you're doing. Just because you're up early does not mean that everyone on the floor is also awake.
6. Standing with your bags and children blocking the driving path for other vehicles. Once you've gotten everything to the car load it as quickly and as efficiently as you possibly can. Stop blocking other cars from leaving the parking area. It's rude.

I guess what I'm getting as it stop pretending that you're the only one there. I know you spent good money to stay but so did everyone else. It's never a bad idea to take the feelings of others into consideration.

Sincerely
A loud person in general but always a considerate hotel guest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm always interested to hear, or read, what people have to say so, please, leave me a comment. I am all for healthy debates but am not a proponent of picking on someone because of their thoughts.