Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Lake Powell & Birthdays

My husband and I are huge fans of Lake Powell. Yesterday we went up to spend the day on the lake. It was a beautiful day and we had every intention of sitting on our boat, on the lake, all day. What happened instead?

This!

We sat in a restaurant, on the lake, most of the day eating amazing, AMAZING, food, drinking some beer and having a nice cocktail, and watching boats go by. How hilarious is that? (If you happen to visit this restaurant, which is the only floating restaurant at Antelope Point, and there's only 2 of you and you order the nachos DON'T order anything else. They're HUGE!!)

Antelope Point Marina Restaurant, Lake Powell AZ.
On another note though I saw my husband truly upset for the first time in our marriage. It was his birthday, of course, but the only people who mentioned anything were myself and my family. It wasn't until late last night that he got a insignificant happy birthday message from any of his family on Facebook. They didn't call him. They didn't even text him. They chose to go the "I don't have time for that" route and post on his Facebook wall.

Why is this so horrible you ask?

My husband spent time in prison when he was younger. He made sure that no matter where he was and no matter what he had to give up he called his family members on their birthdays. He was in lock up and had to give up a week of ever seeing the outside to call his little sister on her birthday. She didn't get around to telling him happy birthday, again only on Facebook, until after midnight today.

Again no big deal right?

It wouldn't have been had his family not been of Facebook all day talking about how much fun they were having with other people. Would it have been so much to ask of them to post something earlier in the day or to at least call him?

If you're still thinking big deal then you didn't see the tears in my husbands eyes as he realized how much he's done for his family, even while he was in prison, and they're complete lack of any attempt to reciprocate.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, it's a big deal! Sometimes families really suck - there I said it! Belated happy birthday to your husband.

    ReplyDelete

I'm always interested to hear, or read, what people have to say so, please, leave me a comment. I am all for healthy debates but am not a proponent of picking on someone because of their thoughts.