Saturday, April 6, 2013

Family (& How Some Of The Members Can Suck)

I live within 250 miles of all 40+ members on my mother's side of the family.  Everyone likes to pretend that they get along with everyone else. I, however, do not pretend to care for all of them.

I wish I could say that I didn't have any family members that sucked but, alas, I do. 

One of my uncles, and a friend of his, built a house and due to circumstances out of my control I had to leave the house I was currently in. Thankfully the uncle's house was available. My husband and I were told that we could live there until we purchased our own home, which would have been a 4 to 5 year stretch. We paid a good amount of rent, kept the place clean, and were not bothersome. We even helped finish the house. We painted, cleaned things up, and made sure everything was in good working order. Eighteen months later my uncle kicked us out, knowing we had no place to go, so he could move from his smaller home into the one we were in. Not only that his friend is paying for everything. My uncle is living rent free with no bills because he's a heartless bastard who felt taking advantage of his family wasn't a big deal. He lied to me every chance he got and I had to find out from another family member, who supported what he did to me (saying my uncle deserved it because he didn't make much money and we needed to get over it because my husband makes good money), what he'd done. I am now expected to forget what he did, without so much as an acknowledgment that he is a leech and a douchebag, so that I'm not the asshole that doesn't attend family functions.

SERIOUSLY FOLKS?!?!

Family. You don't have to like them, you don't even have to love them, but don't pretend that all is well when you know damn well it's not.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Today we are on the same wavelength! I really really thought long and hard before posting my "family" story. It seemed so personal and yet I knew there are many, like me, who have family issues that are heartbreaking. Thanks for sharing your story - it helps ease my heart about mine.

    A to Z Challenge
    The Urge To Preserve

    ReplyDelete

I'm always interested to hear, or read, what people have to say so, please, leave me a comment. I am all for healthy debates but am not a proponent of picking on someone because of their thoughts.