Monday, January 21, 2013

My First Quilt

Last week I was working on my first baby quilt. Well, to be honest, my first quilt period. I was so scared to start it because I was afraid that I was going to screw it up. I practiced stippling, since that's what I was doing on the quilt, on several pieces of fabric and a couple pieces of paper. 

Prior to this quilt the only thing I'd made on a sewing machine was this sewing machine organizer.

The only thing I'd ever done in relation to quilting was watched videos on YouTube (mostly from the Missouri Star Quilt Company) and kept a close eye on the Free Motion Quilting Project with Leah Day. Over many days of watching videos and playing with mini quilt sandwiches I figured it was time to jump in. I put the sandwich under the needle and just started quilting. I couldn't be happier with the results. 

(I have one piece of advice for anyone wanting to quilt on their regular sewing machine. Make sure you get yourself (or build yourself) a table that allows your machine to sit at bed height. I fought with this blanket for hours because I didn't have one.)
The next step was binding. I didn't take photos of this but it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I had an issue with sewing the pieces properly but after watching THIS video, buying THIS tool, and fighting with my bobbin, everything came out perfect. So, without further ado, here's the finished blanket. 


I've already given the blanket to my neighbor and, oddly enough, it matches everything she's already purchased for the baby. She had no idea I was making the blanket and I had no idea what she was buying for her baby. I can't believe everything matches so perfectly.

I can't wait to start another quilt. I just have to have someone to make it for.

2 comments:

  1. Wow you did an amazing job. My mother in law makes a ton of quilts so I know how difficult these are to make. Definitely doesn't look like a first timer. Your neighbour must have been so happy.

    Pia
    pjmscloset.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much. I had a rough time but a fun time doing this quilt. My neighbor loved it, which really boosted my ego.

      Thanks for stopping by my blog.

      Delete

I'm always interested to hear, or read, what people have to say so, please, leave me a comment. I am all for healthy debates but am not a proponent of picking on someone because of their thoughts.