Wednesday, December 12, 2012

My First Sewing Project

On Black Friday, when I bought my sewing machine, I was so excited to get a project started. (I feel like I talk about buying my sewing machine too much lately. It seems as though I start any post related to sewing with "I bought a sewing machine on Black Friday. I'm a nerd) Then it came down to actually starting one. I was TERRIFIED.

What if I royally screwed it up?

What if I couldn't understand how to do anything?

What if I couldn't read the pattern and I didn't know where to put things and I sewed the wrong thing to the wrong side of the wrong piece and AARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!

Then it came down to pulling the pattern out and reading it. You can see how that went by reading my pattern reading skills post.

Finally I'd psyched myself up enough that I figuring I couldn't do any harm to $2 worth of fabric and even if I did it was only $2. Guess what? It came out pretty decent, if I do say so myself. So without further ado here's my first sewing project.


This little guy is called a sewing machine organizer. Your sewing machine sits on top of the upper edge and the 3 pockets at the bottom hold misc. items that you need to keep close to you while you're sewing.


I didn't really make this with the intent that it would come out in a usable way but it did and now I'm not sure what to do with it. I mean, yea, I know it's purpose but I don't find it as useful as I would like to. The pockets are too small, and won't hold anything larger than a bobbin or possibly a spool of thread, and I realized that before I even cut out the pattern but didn't change it because it was my first true pattern project. I have a sewing box, and a bobbin holder, for that.

THAT'S NOT THE POINT THOUGH ALICIA. I made this. I sewed it together. I followed the pattern. I pinned and basted and cut and sewed this cute little thing together. My first sewing project and I'm extremely happy with the outcome. I can't believe it. 

Do you sew? Share a project with me. I'd love to see it. I'd love it even more if it were your first project.

2 comments:

  1. Good job! I would really like to learn to sew, but honestly I'd have no idea where to start. And it feels like I can't justify buying one without having specific needs...I'm annoying like that. Maybe your blog can give me some inspiration & motivation to go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to disappoint you but I'm pretty sure my lackluster sewing projects won't be inspiring many people!! I really want to get into quilting more than anything. I love the look of quilts.

      If you're looking for a good sewing machine there are tons of them out there for quite cheap. I know of people that have used their $100 sewing machine for more than 10 years with minimal problems. I bought a slightly more expensive one because that's what I was looking for. I justified it in my own mind though. I'm not sure if my husband agrees. ;-)

      Delete

I'm always interested to hear, or read, what people have to say so, please, leave me a comment. I am all for healthy debates but am not a proponent of picking on someone because of their thoughts.