Thursday, December 20, 2012

I'm A Hobby Hoarder

I have a huge problem. I collect things. Most of the things I collect have something to do with a hobby. I have more makeup than I'll ever use. Makeup is the only thing unrelated to a hobby, unless you consider playing with different makeups to achieve a look a hobby. Moving on. I have more scrapbooking supplies than I'll ever use. I've got yarn in places, in my house of course, yarn shouldn't be. When I see something I like I tend to go off the deep end and just buy it. Generally this purchasing problem is with the knowledge that I'm not going to use whatever it is that I've just bought any time soon.

I have makeup that I've used once and have since let it sit in my drawers unused because it just doesn't work for me. I see it on the shelf and I jump all over it. I have over $200 worth of high end makeup that I've used once. How terrible is that?

I calculated how much I've spent on Scrapbooking supplies in the past 8 yrs or so and I'm almost ashamed. It's not that I'm ashamed of the fact that I purchased it, with the intent to use it at one point, it's more of a shame that stems from having those supplies sit, collecting dust, for the past 3 years. It's also a shame that grows every time I purchase some new, amazing, supply that I don't need EVEN SINCE I've halted my scrapbooking endeavors.

Based on that last paragraph you would think that I'd pick it back up and figure out what to do with all of the stuff I've accumulated. Nope, that's not how I roll. I pick up a new hobby. THAT'S how I roll.

Last year I started crocheting. I was, and still am, addicted. I've got an unfinished king sized blanket sitting on my kitchen table. I have 12 skeins of yarn sitting in my closet waiting to be put into that blanket. I've got a basket, without any inner workings to hold it up and make it a proper basket, sitting in the same closet with those skeins of yarn. The only real crochet project I've finished since last year is a crochet hook holder.

Since that crocheted blanket isn't finished I should be working feverishly on it, right? NOPE AGAIN. I bought a sewing machine and hundreds of dollars worth of supplies to go with it.


 Wanna know what I've made with that? A sewing machine organizer. A project that took 1/2 a yard of fabric and 10 minutes to finish. That's it. I've been playing with the machine more than I've actually used it.

The next thing on my hobby list is knitting, and needlepoint (which I kinda already know), and making vlogs and .... figuring out why I have such a problem sticking with one hobby for long periods of time.

HELP!!

5 comments:

  1. Wow, you and I would get along swimmingly. BTW, I do consider makeup a hobby (http://reddit.com/r/makeupaddiction is a perfect example). I have so much of it, I'm trying to convince Tim to let me have a vanity to store it in. I have scrapbooking supplies SOMEwhere, and I've attempted to crochet at least 5 times in my life. And I'm trying to convince Tim I need a sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really would get along great!! My husband is an enabler, which doesn't help. He just lets me buy and buy, which also doesn't help.

      Delete
  2. I can relate. I have a bunch of scrapbooking supplies and yarn that's just gathering dust right now and NO motivation to do anything with any of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no motivation either. I have so much I WANT to do but wanting only gets you so far. Every time I see a new project, in any arena of hobby, I feel like I've GOT to do it and then I never do.

      Delete
  3. haha i have the same issues - i have forbidden myself from going to an arts and crafts store (luckily, its out of my way to anything else, so i am not tempted). I actually feel that my new "hobby" takes second place to a project of where am i gonna store all this supplies... and then i solve the organization problem, put everything away neatly and that's it for that hobby. urgh! Now blogging is my new project... how am i storing this one? in folders, day planners, organizers, hard drives, memory cards and so on lol it doesn't end!
    PS. I am now following you on bloglovin' :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm always interested to hear, or read, what people have to say so, please, leave me a comment. I am all for healthy debates but am not a proponent of picking on someone because of their thoughts.