Monday, December 31, 2012

I Don't Make Resolutions But ...

I think I'm going to change that this year.

I'm not one that makes New Years resolutions. I don't keep them, it's that simple. Something about being in 30's has changed me. I'm not sure why but I feel like making resolutions for the New Year. I'm not sure if I should call them resolutions though. My brain is going to process that and try it's hardest to assist me in failing to keep them. So I'll just say here's a list of things I want to accomplish in 2013.

1. I want to read more than 10 books this next year. (Those samplers do NOT count as books) Many, many, people are going to look at that and scoff. Ten books in a year? That's it? Yes, that's it. I am a very slow reader. When I was younger I sped read everything. It's translated into not understanding a single book I read back when I was in my late childhood and through my teens. Now, as I read, I take my time often reading out loud to myself. (Follow me on Goodreads to see my progress)

2. I will either make a quilt or a quilted object (pillow, handbag, etc) of some sort. I've been eyeing quilts online and in stores and now that I have a sewing machine I feel like it's something I can accomplish. In theory it's quite terrifying though. Picking out the right fabric. Fabric that I'm not going to get sick of. Buying an expensive darning foot for my machine. Putting it together with the perfect 1/4" seam allowance when I can barely draw a straight line. I have to get over that though. I have been eyeing a bag called The Conversation Bag. It looks quite complicated, and the directions have stumped me more than once, but I really would love to make this bag.

The Conversation Bag: Tutorial Courtesy of Sew Sweetness
3. I want to start eating healthier. I'm not sure how this one is going to work. My husband is one of those men who can eat whatever he wants and lose weight. I'm going to have to learn how to cook and start making my own meals if I'm ever going to eat healthier.

4. I will build something. I have a huge list of things I want to build for my craft room. A sewing table, a cutting table, a desk/sewing/cutting/scrapbooking table.

5. Being a better me. This one sounds really stupid but I've been a horrible me lately. I've been lazy, and timid in my life, for the past few months and I'm just about sick of myself. I need to start getting off my ass and doing things that I say I'm going to do.

None of these are going to be easy and that's why I've chosen them. If what I'd chosen were easy I'd put it off until I rationalized away the need to accomplish them.

So folks, that's what I plan on doing in 2013. What are you doing?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm always interested to hear, or read, what people have to say so, please, leave me a comment. I am all for healthy debates but am not a proponent of picking on someone because of their thoughts.