Monday, November 19, 2012

What I've Read


Amazon Associate Photo Link
Title: Gone (Gone #1)
Author: Michael Grant
Genre: Science Fiction
Pages: 558
Finished: November 14th
Rating: 3.5 (possibly 4) out of 5

Synopsis from Amazon:

"In the blink of an eye. Everyone disappears. Gone. Everyone except for the young. Teens. Middle schoolers. Toddlers. But not a single adult. No teachers, no cops, no doctors, no parents. Gone, too, are the phones, internet, and television. There is no way to get help. Hunger threatens. Bullies rule. A sinister creature lurks. Animals are mutating. And the teens themselves are changing, developing new talents—unimaginable, dangerous, deadly powers—that grow stronger by the day. It's a terrifying new world. Sides are being chosen and war is imminent. The first in a breathtaking saga about teens battling each other and their darkest selves, gone is a page-turning thriller that will make you look at the world in a whole new way."

What I Thought:

In my What I'm Reading post I mention that if nothing happens, in relation to some sort of internal or external discovery by the characters, that I wouldn't be moving on with this series. Toward the end of the book, I'd say within the last 10 chapters, I finally got what I was looking for. The main character finally accepted his roll and started to live up to it.

Going back through the book though I feel a little let down by a few things. While the author is very descriptive I still don't feel like I know the characters as well as I'd like to. The bulk of the action, although there are small action packed moments within the book happen when everyone disappears, in the first few sentences of the book, and in the last few chapters. I don't want to say I was bored through the middle but it read a little slow for me. Lastly, it ended quite quickly. There was a "battle scene" but I still felt it was over in the blink of an eye.

All in all I enjoyed the book and the writing style of Grant. I'm going to keep reading on, despite the problems I had while reading, because it had that "I have to know what happens next" effect on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm always interested to hear, or read, what people have to say so, please, leave me a comment. I am all for healthy debates but am not a proponent of picking on someone because of their thoughts.