Monday, November 5, 2012

Gone by Michael Grant

Not long ago I started reading Gone by Michael Grant. If you've never heard of the book here's the back cover description.

"In the blink of an eye. Everyone disappears. Gone. Everyone except for the young. Teens. Middle schoolers. Toddlers. But not a single adult. No teachers, no cops, no doctors, no parents. Gone, too, are the phones, internet, and television. There is no way to get help. Hunger threatens. Bullies rule. A sinister creature lurks. Animals are mutating. And the teens themselves are changing, developing new talents—unimaginable, dangerous, deadly powers—that grow stronger by the day. It's a terrifying new world. Sides are being chosen and war is imminent. The first in a breathtaking saga about teens battling each other and their darkest selves, Gone is a page-turning thriller that will make you look at the world in a whole new way."(Source)

I'd heard, or read rather, a lot about this book before I picked it up, and was really excited to read it, but I'm having some issue at this point..

The premise of under 15 yr olds being the "adults" in a given situation isn't something that bothers me much, like it has others, because I was quite mature by the time I was 15. It's the speed at which the book is progressing that's starting to get on my nerves.

Over 200 pages in and 3/4 of the "talents" that the kids are supposedly developing aren't even partially developed. The rest were discovered before everyone disappeared. The mutating animals are few and far between. I can only count one or two instances of a mutant animal in all these pages. Not only that but they're not getting anywhere. They've only made one attempt to figure out what's happening and, in my opinion, it was a lazy attempt.

I'm determined to finish the book but if I'm to continue on with the series something has to change. There has to be some sort of discovery, be it internal or external, by the characters. They've got to progress a little more before I'll commit to reading another book.

I'm sure I'll do a review once I've finished but for now tell me if you've read Gone by Michael Grant. What did you think? Have you read other books in the series?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm always interested to hear, or read, what people have to say so, please, leave me a comment. I am all for healthy debates but am not a proponent of picking on someone because of their thoughts.