Monday, November 12, 2012

Facebook, The Anti-Social Network

There are billions of people of Facebook these days. It's a great way to keep up with family and friends that live out of town, or in another state, but what happens when your next door neighbor, the neighbor you knew in High School but haven't spoken to since you moved in 2 months ago, adds you as a friend on Facebook?

It's time to leave Facebook, that's what happens.

I'm not saying, in any way, that my neighbor was in the wrong. She wasn't. I was. I hadn't taken a second out of my oh so busy life (total sarcasm there) to go over, say hello, and basically reintroduce myself. I'm a horrible neighbor. 

I always explained away being anti-social by saying that I talked to a lot of people on Facebook. The reality of it is that I didn't talk to anyone on Facebook. I expected people to comment on things that I said. I never took the time to write personal messages to anyone on Facebook. I liked statuses, I commented on pictures, and I even liked a bunch of pages. How can any of that be considered social networking? In my opinion, it can't.

Just over 2 weeks ago I made the decision to leave Facebook. I'm not saying that since then I've been a good neighbor and gone and introduced myself to everyone in "the hood" but I have been thinking of ways to break the ice more so than before. I'm thinking of making great Christmas, or Holiday, boxes and taking them to the neighbors. I might include some personal information about myself and my husband as a way to say that we're sociable and we really want to meet our neighbors and then leave it up to them to pursue anything further. I'd never want to become that pushy neighbor that everyone hates.

There is nothing wrong with Facebook, aside from their mounting privacy issues, that made me leave. It had everything to do with me and the fact that I just couldn't fathom Facebook being more important in my life than being a good neighbor, or a physically present neighbor for that matter.

So, that's why I left Facebook and, at this point, that's why I see myself staying away from it for quite some time.


1 comment:

I'm always interested to hear, or read, what people have to say so, please, leave me a comment. I am all for healthy debates but am not a proponent of picking on someone because of their thoughts.