Monday, November 26, 2012

Black Friday

I know there are a lot of people who don't go out on Black Friday (yes I capitalized both) because the mass consumerism, the horrible lines, and the rude people. I, however, find it to be exhilarating.

I was contemplating not going this year because I really didn't find anything that peaked me interested. Why wait in lines and deal with a million different people when there's nothing I want? My mom wanted to go but I didn't want to drag her out of bed that early for nothing. We, my husband my mother and I, decided to go when I found an ad that was meant for  me. It was the ad for Dave's Bernina.

SEWING MACHINES!!!!!!!!!!

I've been eyeing a sewing machine for a long time. I took sewing classes when I was 8 years old but they didn't last. Mostly because my parents couldn't afford it anymore. I've always wanted to own a sewing machine but never had a reason. Even now I don't really have a solid reason to own a sewing machine but I'm tired of buying clothes that fit me alright, but aren't that cute, just because that's what everyone has to offer. I'm tired of spending hundreds of dollars on a blanket for our bed. (we have to buy oversized blankets because my husband has a horrible habit of stealing every last stitch of blanket from me in the night) I'd like to make gifts, instead of buying gifts, for people around the holidays. Ever since I started crocheting I've wanted to pick up more homemaking skills and sewing seemed like the logical next step for me.

So without further ado here's my major Black Friday purchase.


This little beauty is a Bernina 330. It generally retails for $1399 but I paid $699. Tell me that wasn't worth it? After speaking with the sales associates for what seemed like hours I picked this because of it's ease of use and the fact that it still had quite a few features.


Along with the machine I bought this walking foot. It was on sale for $99. I know that seems like a lot but I've found them online retailing for nearly $200. I also purchased THIS knee lift but it wasn't in stock.

The moment I got this baby home I started playing around with it. I ripped up an old shirt and began figuring things out. After I learned how to thread the machine, of course.

Now comes the task of starting my first project. I'm nervous/excited/scared/omgasdfjkl;. If you've got any advice for a sewing novice leave it in the comments, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm always interested to hear, or read, what people have to say so, please, leave me a comment. I am all for healthy debates but am not a proponent of picking on someone because of their thoughts.