Thursday, November 29, 2012

A Different World

Last night I was thinking about things that were different when I was younger. It was quite interesting to think about so I thought I'd share it with y'all.

When I was younger I lived in a town with a population of less than 500. This afforded us nothing in the way of privacy. Everyone knew everyone and knew everything that everyone did. (Confused with that last sentence?) The one thing that living in such a small town did afford us was security. We never locked our doors at night. Not the doors on the house or the doors on our cars. Normally my mom left her purse in the car. Nothing was ever stolen either. I can't imagine doing that now though.

A lot of kids these days play video games. The first video game system our family received was a Sega Genesis. I couldn't believe how amazing it was. We only got to play when we earned the time BUT it was the fact that technology like that existed in our world. I understand that there were systems that came out before it but the Sega was the first I knew of.

For fun we, my brothers, neighbors, friends, and I, used to play in the ditch in front of our house. That's what we loved to do. I know that sounds gross and parents today would have a conniption fit if they saw their child playing in a ditch but that's the kind of fun that we had.

I actually remember having to get up from the couch to change the channel. Not only that I remember when we had to go move the dish around to get good reception. I'm not talking about one of those little dish's they have now. No. The dish we used was at least 6 ft in circumference.

Once a week my family would have to irrigate the yard. Dad would get up at 2 in the morning so that he could stop up the ditch and flood the yard. We, as kids, thought it was a privilege when dad would ask us if we wanted to help. I think I got pneumonia a couple times though. Freezing cold water, 2 am, yea it doesn't mix well. I still remember having a blast helping though.

I remember when gasoline, for premium, was $.97 a gallon. That was when I started driving.

Every time I think of how things were different when I was a kid I instantly think of Bucky Covington and his song A Different World. I couldn't imagine what my mom would have said to me if I'd have asked for a bottle of water.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm always interested to hear, or read, what people have to say so, please, leave me a comment. I am all for healthy debates but am not a proponent of picking on someone because of their thoughts.