Thursday, October 25, 2012

Fitting In

For me, blogging in my 20's was about fitting into whatever mold I could force myself to fit into.

Now, as I approach 31, I feel like fitting in isn't something I'm willing to do.

My life is fantastic, and I'm so full of energy and love, but I was having an issue when it came to feeling like I was good enough to remain a part of this blogging world. When it came right down to it I also couldn't see myself NOT being a part of this community. I thought about the prospect of starting a new blog for a long time (OK, like a month but that's a long time without a single thought of my blog) but there wasn't anything specific that I wanted to blog about.

I maintained a personal blog for a long time but I've lost interest in only blogging about my 2 visits to Starbucks everyday. No, seriously, that's what my day is like more often than not. While keeping that blog on the back burner I kept attempting to make separate blogs about all my different loves. That didn't work either. I'm a one blog girl. With that in mind I'm also a crafter, an avid reader, a makeup junkie, a wife, mother to 5 dogs, jobless with no prospects, (and that's by choice at this point) cynical, pessimistic, and very opinionated.  How could I blog about all of that within the parameters of one blog? How could I not blog about all of that without making myself feel lost? Unfortunately for a lot of critics, and bloggers alike, I fit into that "she blogs about everything" category which, according to many, is not a category at all. Even if it were, according to others, it wouldn't be one that someone would want to fit in. Well, guess what, that's where I fit so there's where I'm putting myself.

What's the next step after figuring out that you don't want 6 blogs on assorted topics?

The always dreaded (since most are taken) coming up with a name.

I thought about naming this new blog "killing my own time" but I didn't want to make it sound like what I was doing was a waste of time in my eyes. Then, as always, I wanted to sound smart. I tried using the words adept and multifaceted and the only thing that accomplished was a perfectly pretentious sounding blog name. My last, and final (obviously), option came when I thought about how everything had changed around the time I turned 30. Do you know how hard it is to come up with a blog name, that isn't already taken, about blogging in your 30's? Fortunately with this name I won't have to change it, if I'm still blogging, when I turn 40.

So instead of a personal blog about what others might see as my boring life I'm going to talk about a lot of things. I'm going to blog about crochet projects I'm working on, books I'm reading, caring for a special needs animals (I have a Min Pin who's blind and diabetic) being a stay at home wife with a stay at home husband (which is something most people don't understand) and whole slue of other things. I really truly hope you stick around.

1 comment:

  1. I think this new blog of yours looks great, and no matter what "everyone" says, that "niche" hysteria isn't true. You don't have to have a specific topic. Personally I love this type of blog, about whatever is on your mind. Variation makes it interesting and variation makes readers get to know the blogger a bit. I like that.

    ReplyDelete

I'm always interested to hear, or read, what people have to say so, please, leave me a comment. I am all for healthy debates but am not a proponent of picking on someone because of their thoughts.